Contemporary home design has evolved to reflect new styles of living among homeowners, rooted in the belief that a home should be a “machine for the living,” as Redfin contributor Jay Libby puts it. Windows are a critical part of contemporary design. Libby writes:
Visible from both inside and out, the size, placement and function of each window helps define a home for its inhabitants, guests and the community. It also contributes to the evolving functionality of spaces within a structure.
Here, he presents a few window tips for a contemporary home design:
1. Make sure they deliver light as far into the space as possible: When utilized correctly, the constantly changing light that flows through windows can transform an interior. Balancing the placement of windows to deliver natural light as far into a built structure accomplishes one of the primary principles of contemporary design: serve a utilitarian purpose, not a decorative one.
2. Ensure they promote indoor air quality: Stacked ventilation, for example, utilizes roof windows in combination with wall windows, creating updrafts that funnel warm air outdoors and away from living areas. Interior window openings can help channel fresh air to a home’s more remote locations.
3. Minimize ornamentation to maximize impact: Whether as a huge picture window or a perfectly aligned group of smaller windows, this reinforces a home’s connection to its surroundings and is commonly referred to as managing the view.
4. Erase the divide between interior and exterior: Walls of windows or patio doors can help connect the interior of a home with the immediate surroundings. Thresholds are minimized, roof lines blend into tree lines and outdoor spaces become your expanded living space.
5. Know which windows match a contemporary style
To that end, this free site connects home styles and the proper windows based on architectural need.
Today’s homeowners are quick to appreciate the simple elegance of contemporary design principles, as well as the brilliance of the premise: rather than dictating how you live, a contemporary home’s open spaces and clean lines are really a blank canvas ready to bloom with the colors of the life you live.
Knowing your home can grow with you is what helps keep contemporary design contemporary, and relevant for any lifestyle. It’s no surprise contemporary style is as popular as it is.