Skip To Content

State fire marshal provides safety tips for upcoming winter storm

1

EASTON — The  upcoming winter storm may cause a disruption in electrical service to area homes, according to State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci.

“Make sure your home is equipped with working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. These early notification devices are some of the most effective fire and life safety tools for preventing injury or death from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning,” Geraci said.

Because fuel-burning appliances can produce the deadly, tasteless and odorless gas known as carbon monoxide, make sure all carbon monoxide alarms are in working order before using the appliances, the state fire marshall said.

Carbon monoxide gas is poisonous and can quickly cause injury or death.

In the event of a loss of electrical power, operate generators outside the home and outside garages, as carbon monoxide gas also is produced by operating generators. Ensure placement of the generator does not allow carbon monoxide to enter the home through windows, doors or other openings.

Installing and maintaining carbon monoxide alarms inside the home may provide an early warning of carbon monoxide, Geraci said. Also, opening a window will provide proper ventilation for fuel-burning appliances, he said.

Additionally, Geraci advised people to use flashlights during power outages instead of candles and keep plenty of fresh batteries on hand at all times.

If using candles, the fire marshal said to make sure they are placed on a stable piece of furniture, in sturdy holders that will not tip over, and to never place candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets.

Keep combustibles, including furniture, books, clothing, papers and curtains, at least 3 feet from all heat sources and remember to extinguish candles and turn off portable heaters when leaving a room or before going to sleep.

FULL STORY HERE

Trackback from your site.

Leave a Reply

*
*

About our blog

Our agents write often to give you the latest insights on owning a home or property in the Chattanooga area.

Testimonials

My wife & I had not purchased a home in over 35 years. Now, late in life, we found ourselves in need of a home, having retired from pastoring and living in parsonages. We were lost really. Our children wanted us fairly close to them. Our son, a police officer, wanted us in a safe area, but our budget dictated a modest home and modest price. We were tired before we started looking! But God sent Diane Evans to be our guide, advisor, encourager, consultant, protector, and negotiator-WOW! All this i…
Clif & Donna