Greater Chattanooga has enjoyed tremendous growth in recent years, and many families are making the decision to sell their homes in search of something newer, bigger, smaller, or just different. If you’re ready to put your current house on the market and want to increase your chances of selling it quickly, there are a few steps to take before putting the “For Sale” sign in your front yard.
1. The Power of Paint. Interior and exterior paint should be fresh and clean and in a single, neutral color throughout.
And, don’t forget shutters and windows. If your home has vinyl or aluminum siding, be sure it’s free of mokd and dirt.
2. Clean the Carpets. If your carpets are in decent condidtion, a professional cleaning can help refresh them. But old, matted carpeting will be a detriment to your home selling. If you have hardwood floors under old carpet, tear up the carpet to expose them.
3. Check Off the Repair List. Make a list of all those little repairs you’ve let go. The hole in the screen, the loose doorknob, the doorbell that doesn’t work and the leaky faucet must all be repaired before buyers start looking at your home.
4. De-Clutter to Create More Space. Clear your house of clutter and debris. Get rid of piles of old newspapers and magazines, the old clothes that don’t fit, the closet full of small appliances that don’t work, dust-covered collections, etc.
5. Not So Personal. Minimize the amount of personal items and mementos in your home. Prospective buyers want to imagine themselves living in the home. Too many family pictures will make them feel that they’re invading your home, not inspecting their future home.
6. Don’t Forget the Closets. Clean out closets so they appear more spacious. Closets are an important feature to today’s buyers, so make yours look as roomy as possible.
7. Create Curb Appeal. Take a fresh look at your home from the street. Does it have curb appeal? Is it warm, inviting and well-kept? Mow the lawn, weed garden areas, trim unruly bushes, reseal the driveway and sweep the porch, and paint the front door.