(WBNG Binghamton) During the season of giving, NYSEG is giving those who are decorating their homes with Christmas lights helpful tips for doing so safely and energy-conscious.
Use only those lights and extension cords approved by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) or another recognized testing organization.
– Carefully inspect light cords, plugs and receptacles for worn or frayed insulation and loose connections. Get rid of any faulty cords by throwing them away or recycling.
– Not overloading electrical circuits.
– Using ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) on outdoor outlets.
– Never raising ladders, poles or other objects into or near power lines.
– Making sure the cords are out of the way so nobody trips over them.
– Decorating trees with miniature lights or LEDs – they produce much less heat than traditional incandescent bulbs and reduce the drying effect on the tree, decreasing the risk of it catching fire.
FULL STORY HERE